Monday, May 25, 2009

First Fruit

Nothing tastes better than fresh-picked, sun-ripened strawberries. True, there are blueberries and raspberries and elderberries, but strawberries by far are the tastiest. Perhaps it is because they are the first fruit to ripen. I'm still not sure. So far, we've gone out and picked every day and gotten at least 1/2 a basket like this: We didn't pick on Saturday and ended up with a full basket on Sunday.

Today we worked in the garden. While Tim weeded the elderberry bushes and tried to figure out if the other gigantic bush was a weed or something important, the kids and I planted corn in the first two beds of the garden. My seedlings didn't last the potting phase, so I'm hoping that the in-ground will do better. I'm still trying to harden off the tomatoes in the hopes that I still might get some viable plants. I'm down to about 10 or so. Grrr! Weather permitting this week, in the afternoons I'd like to work more beds, maybe get the squash and peas into the ground and get some lettuce started. Next year I'm getting one of those calenders that tells you when to plant everything so I don't fall behind again. Oh, and I confirmed the gigantic bush(s) was/were the raspberry bush(s) later by finding pictures of the leaves online.

On a not-quite-gardening note but still related to the family, we're planning a trip to Washington D.C. this Saturday. First stop, the Temple at about 11am or so for a picnic lunch, a visit to the visitors' center, and a walk around the grounds. I can't wait until I can go inside. Next stop, the National Zoo for the afternoon to look at the animals. It's been a long time since I've been to the zoo, and I know the kids will enjoy it. This is the last two weeks of school, and this will also be the last weekend we will have the kids until they return from Arkansas with their father, so we're trying to fit some fun stuff in there before they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment