Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Cookie Exchange

Now that I've started, I don't know if I can stop...

Last night I went to enrichment at the church. Fun activities included learning to make ribbon bow for gifts, how to make cream cheese mints, and a craft session on making a "12 Days of Christmas" calendar.

The cream cheese mints... now there is a recipe. After trying one of each flavor, I've decided I like the cinnamon and the vanilla flavors best, though you can make them in any flavor/color. Curses to JaNae, now I'm making them for the wedding (if I can find a good snowflake candy mold before it's time). A word of warning - do NOT double the recipe if you are making it in your food processor or in a mixer any less powerful than a KitchenAid... it will burn up the motor!

In your food processor (or with a mixer) combine:
3 oz. cream cheese (preferably softened)
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
a few drops of desired color
a few drops of desired flavor (to taste)

Blend until the consistency of modeling clay. Refrigerate as necessary to keep the mix from making a mess. Roll into balls, then roll in granulated sugar. You can leave in balls, flatten with a fork, decorate the top, whatever you want to do, just make sure you let them sit to harden for two hours before eating. They can also be molded using candy molds (the sugar keeps them from sticking to the mold). The mints may be stored on your counter top for 2 weeks or frozen for up to 2 months.


Now this little calendar... let me tell you that it took a little bit to do, and I ended up finishing it at home, but it was well worth it! Let me preface this by saying that I am not a scrapbooker. I have never scrapbooked. I still might never scrapbook, but this was a lot of fun; and to see the variation as each sister did her own was wonderful. There were so many ideas, colors, wow. Each little "door" on the calendar has it's own raised ornament over a frame, and inside it has a scripture and song for each day of Christmas (or a service for each day). This is a sweet idea that I might take to make for Christmas gifts next year (so if you're reading this next year, don't be surprised).


Each sister this evening brought 6 dozen of her favorite cookie for the cookie exchange. I ended up bringing home a full platter of cookies. My kids will be on a sugar rush for a week. My only regret is that I didn't get the recipes for some of these fabulous cookies.

Our next enrichment is in February, and I'm teaching cake decorating. The sisters in Relief Society are checking to see which of my Top Secret cake recipes they would like to learn. I'm hoping they will have as much fun learning as I do decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment