Friday, April 10, 2009

That sounds a little corny...

You know, I took some pictures of my newest sprouts early this week... Monday or so. I thought 'Wow, these little guys are something. I wonder how fast they'll grow...'

Let's start with corn. They started as little green spikes poking up through the dirt... OK. I can handle that. Picture #1 here is shortly after the leaves came up.

Fast forward 5 days to just a few minutes ago for picture #2. Some of them are almost 6" tall and are getting their second set of leaves!I also thought my peas, green beans (both varieties), zucchini, and pumpkin were cute little things when they started sprouting Monday... Everybody together now, "Awww!"Now I'm starting to wonder if there wasn't some kind of super manure in this soil...
I'm hoping that the frost disappears pronto because pretty soon they'll be overgrowing the house! I did read that I can plant my beans and peas in the same beds as the corn. Neither crop will harm the other, and the corn will support the peas and beans without the need for trellises, cages, or poles. I'm tempted to start some more corn after I transplant this batch and give away the crop harvested from the extra plants just so I can get away without the extra hardware.
Oh, and on a side note for Mom and Dad Whitcomb... Yes, the daffodils are growing... Yes, they are blooming, and so far there are 69 daffodils in one stage or another of growth (sprouting to blooming). Take a look...I think that after I rid the garden of the puffball infestation, I'm going to mulch these poor things to soften the bed a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment