Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm beginning to think that my thumb color is more olive drab...

I transplanted my tomatoes over the weekend to free up flats for corn, pumpkin, zucchini, green beans, lettuce, carrots, and peas. I made a lot of pots from newspaper (wow, those things are cool!). Something like 108 in all. Half way through I ran out of the StaGreen potting soil I was using so Tim got me some Miracle Grow so that I could finish.

Yea. Not so good. All of my tomatoes in StaGreen are OK, but my Miracle Grow tomatoes are all but dead. 50% failure rate is not good. I think it was the soil might have been it. I watered everything the same, but the little guys are still taking a down turn so I might have to replant at least that many tomatoes. A later crop perhaps?

On a good note, 1/3 of my peppers have made an appearance! I'm going to keep the lid on them for a little longer until I see more of them pop up, but I think we'll be OK on this batch. I should start seeing some of the second planting in about a week or so and then I'll do a third with more tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Are you actually planting them in the garden already? Chris and I have tried for several years to get good production out of tomatoes we start ourselves and they have never survived the hardening off process. From what I've read tomatoes are really difficult to get decent yield when you're starting from seeds. They need a grow light and very a very particular hardening off process. Every year we try and every year we end up getting some plants from the Home Depot. This year we've decided to not even bother. We do however have great success starting our own peppers from seed. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not even in the garden yet. I just moved them into bigger containers with more soil. I really think it was the switch from StaGreen to Miracle Grow. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete