Friday, March 27, 2009

What color is your thumb?

I decided to try my hand at gardening this year so that I could *maybe* make us a little less dependant on the economy for our food. My little helpers helped me plant tomato and pepper seeds on 3/15 for our family time. We watered, we covered, we waited. For a while I had them sitting by the sliding door at the back of the house where I thought they'd get the most light. After about a week we started getting little green leaves!!!

I assembled 2 shelves of a plastic 5-shelf unit I've had for ages and set up shop on the island in the kitchen under the lights. Wow the little guys really took off then!
I have 3 "Bog Boy" tomatoes for hamburgers and such, but the rest are Roma tomatoes. They have lots of flesh are are good sauce tomatoes. My peppers are still hiding from me, but the packet said they take 10-14 days. Maybe we'll see some this Sunday. We plan on also starting the lettuce, zucchini, and pumpkin seeds then as well.
When we planted the tomatoes and peppers, the kids also planted daisy seeds they received at church as part of the family lesson (mothers nurture). Their seeds started growing before mine did! Each kid has their own pot that they sprinkled seeds in (with their name on it). Aren't they cute?
Here are two of my helpers and the shelf setup on the island.

I also learned from Juliette Stollings about when to transplant and how to do it. When I saw her this morning, she showed me her newspaper "pots" for her tomatoes. Wow. She said it was something she learned at the gardening seminar a few weeks back that I wasn't able to attend. I wish I had because it looks like there was some really good stuff! We've agreed to swap some of our plants as they grow for more variety. Gardening is really a good fellowshipping technique!

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! I have seeds but have not planted them yet. You are so amazing. where do you find the time? I'm gonna go right out and get those little seeds started... oh wait... probably after we get back from vacation. Then I can water them regularly,,, but I'm gonna do it this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really once you plant them and water them, you can leave them covered with plastic for a week without having to water them. Even putting a clear cover on them once they've sprouted and you don't have to water them for another week because it keeps the moisture in the flat and out of the air.

    ReplyDelete