Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Family Home Evening

Yesterday during lunch I decided to look at Splash for a Family Home Evening (FHE) idea. I decided to do a little "gospel art" with the family. We've been reading in 1 Nephi about how Lehi followed God's commandments and led his family out of Jerusalem and into the wilderness. I found a picture in the gospel art kit on lds.org and printed #301 in grey scale. I also printed the text on the back of the picture. We talked about the picture, who was who, and what they were doing while everyone colored their picture. Then we posted them on the back window for all to see.

It was fun to see how each one of us colored the picture. From top left and going counterclockwise: Tim, Me, Dougie, Audie, and Chloie with the text in the middle. This was a fun activity that fit very well with our scripture study, and we got to see how much the kids really learned from reading. Dougie even knows what book we're reading (the Book of Mormon) and who we're reading about(Nephi). Audie and Chloie can recount most of the story and why some of the events happened. I'm so proud!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. What a great Idea... I've printed out the pictures and the story for the back, but didn't think of them coloring them while they are learning about them... great idea. I'll try that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help. Seriously though, check out http://www.ldssplash.com and look in the FHE section. There are a bunch of ideas from other parents/members that are pretty good. I've started a binder with all of the past FHE activities we've done from there because some of the lessons are so much fun, we've done them more than once!

    ReplyDelete