Thursday, January 29, 2009

My First Calling!!!

So last Sunday, Brother Cas. (First Counselor) asks to visit with me. "Visit" is a non-invasive way of saying that he had a job for me. Now, for those less initiated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka Mormons) one beautiful thing that the church does is involve every member (and in my case some non-members) in the church. Everyone has a job, a function that ensures that time and talents are shared to promote unity and keep things running smoothly. This job or function is called a calling.

So our "visit"... he asked me to accept a calling as the Relief Society pianist. I'm still grinning from ear to ear. I can't even begin to tell you how excited this makes me (OK, well this is a start). So this means that I've been elevated from a "dry Mormon" to a "dry Mormon with a calling". One step closer! There are, apparently, not many callings that Non-members can fulfill, and I laughed when I found out that my father-in-law (former bishop) did a little digging to find out that this was one of them. Do you think he's trying to tell me something?

So they will call me this Sunday for a sustaining vote. A point of note here is that this will be one day shy of my 1 year anniversary attending church (February 2, 2008). Then, as I've been told, I will be set apart. So because I didn't understand what that meant, I went to the “Setting Apart Members to Callings,” Branch Guidebook, pg.12 on LDS.org for more information, and it said this:

"Members called to Church positions should be set apart before they begin serving (see D&C 42:11). Under the direction of the presiding authority, one or more men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, including a worthy father or husband, may participate in a setting apart. They place their hands lightly on the person’s head. The one who speaks:

1. Calls the person by his or her full name.
2. States that he is setting the person apart by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
3. Sets the person apart to the position to which he or she has been called.
4. Gives a blessing as the Spirit directs.
5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ."

OK, so that's a little more clear... Any way, this should be fun. For my first official RS meeting as the pianist, we are having our visiting teaching conference. I can't wait. It'll take a little time to build confidence enough to play both hands without choking, and thank goodness that Sister Barnes will be there to help me! I couldn't do it without her.

1 comment: