Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bills, bills, bills

It seems that we do fine for a while, then things take another turn. I know that we are making progress towards paying off our debts (student loans, car loans, credit cards, etc.). I can see the balances going down every time I balance the checkbook. I also know that everything will be paid off at about the same time. It just happens that the payments and amounts worked out like that. I can't wait until we're able to save all that money and put it aside for, oh I don't know, a house of our own or something crazy like that.

At the moment I'm torn as to whether to draw the payments out a little longer so we can start building savings, or pay everything off first then save. Idunno. ...?

Really, I'd be happy if I could get Tim to stick to our budget. He was "really bad" over the last couple weeks (his words), and it wasn't until I reconciled the checkbook that I found out how "really bad" he was. Why do I go grocery shopping and plan meals to save money if he's just going to go to Wendy's, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Sheetz, Chick-fil-a, and more for dinner every night? If all feels kind of pointless at times.

Sorry, just needed to get that out there somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Always pay off the debit first. Your interest rates are much higher than what you would be earning in savings. I know it's hard to not see the bank account growing but just think about all of the money you'll be able to rollover into savings once the debit is paid off! :) We made the same move 10 years ago and have been debt free for 8 yrs! No car payments either. I LOVE it. Too bad of looks like our run is over. :( Heather's school tuition is going to send Chris to an early grave. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete