Wednesday, February 02, 2011

When databases are like oil and water

You might or might not know what I do during the day... you know, when I'm working... non-cake related working.

I manage databases of parts, machines, data, more data. You get the idea. Part of the "fun" is making the data in those databases talk to each other and pull out needed useful information, and sometimes those databases don't like to talk. They give each other the cold shoulder and leave me in the middle asking WHY? and Where's the love?

Occasionally I can get my foot in the door, 'Hey IV30, IV04 wants to talk to you.' but it turns out to be a very short and unsatisfying conversation. There are ways around this, but I haven't found them yet. On the bright side, after I figure this out, it'll improve the response time for the machines we send out. For now I'll dive back into computer screen and see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment