Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The house claims its first victim...

It was a busy weekend.

... Oh, wait, were you expecting something resembling "it was a dark and stormy night"?

Tim's parents finished packing on Thursday and loaded the truck. Tim went over while I was teaching the cake decorating class (more on that in a later post). I went over after class was done to take his mother a cake before she left and to visit before they left. The house looked so empty.

They left Friday, and we miss them already. After work, Tim and I broke down everything we could, then went to Chili's for dinner with the kids. I wasn't impressed with the waitress this time, but the food was excellent as always. I guess it didn't help that we had an hour wait. True to form, Tim ordered the Classic Nachos; we spent most of dinner trying to figure out how to make them. While we were in Winchester, we stopped by Steve's house to load up the dresser (beautiful!!! I'll have to take pictures for later) and take it to the house. We unloaded everything we brought with us and spent the night in the hopes that we could clear out the kids' rooms before we left to meet the Muellers at my parents' house.

We ended up stopping by Rob's house on the way so he could follow us, and barely made it there before Brandon and Grace did with the family and the truck/trailer. With all of the guys and older boys helping, the vehicles were loaded in a matter of minutes. Unloading went about the same. I had to stop for gas on the way, so the kids and I got there a little later than everyone else. Not even 5 minutes in the door, I heard Dougie crying and went to see what happened. The kids said he hit his head (slipped on the hard wood floor in socks). I was about to tell him he was alright when I saw the blood...

... enter Panicked Mommy Mode (PMM).

We cleaned him up and looked at the wound, still bleeding a lot by my standards, and decided to take him to the emergency room. Before we left, I asked Rob to give him a blessing (a full recovery he said), and off we went with Amy driving and me in the back seat with Dougie.

We spent 3 hours at the hospital, during which Amy graciously allowed Dougie to play with Monkey. Actually, he was a real trooper and didn't even cry at all after the initial bonk. We also had a lengthy conversation about running on the hard wood floor with socks on. The nurse came in with a Novocaine gel that she put on a cotton ball and then onto his gash and bandaged to hold it in place, but not until she showed him first on Monkey. One staple later, we're on our way to Dairy Queen for ice cream and lunch (I believe any harrowing medical experience should be immediately followed by ice cream).

How cute is this??? To show you resilient kids are, 20 minutes after we got home he was running in socks on the hard wood floor again... go figure.

It's nice to have this much space. We are grateful to my parents for letting us stay at their house for the past year, and we're also grateful to Tim's parents for letting us stay in their house while they're in New York. Now all we have to do is unpack!

1 comment:

  1. Kids are so funny sometimes, arn't they?! My middle child had a similar situation, of course not on hard wood floors... You'll have to ask me about it later. Needlessly to say, long story short. a 1 1/2 inch gash on the back of his head, and 4 staples later... even before the staples and was seen. Completely fine. He had a similar bandage on his head too... He was acting like an indian and talking to everyone in the waiting room until they saw him.... Funny huh? You go mom! Icecream always helps. :)

    ReplyDelete