Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Scripture Study

Now that we have a little more control over our schedule, we finally implemented family scripture study. We started in the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi. We start by reviewing what we read the night before, then Tim reads 3 verses, I read 3 verses, and Audie and Chloie each read 1 verse. We usually do about 2 rounds before bed and so far we've made it into Chapter 3. Audie and Chloie are really picking up on the wording and are even recognizing words like "Holy Spirit", "Lord", "Nephi", "commandments", and "unto" which are not common words taught in public schools. I'm constantly amazed how well their reading improves with this. Last night Audie's verse was so smoothly read, I almost thought an adult was reading.

Tim and I are also reading as a couple (we read while the kids brush their teeth). We started in Doctrine and Covenants, Section 1. We alternate 3 verses a piece and have made it into Section 5. I like having this quiet time together doing something spiritual. It seems that so much focus is on the worldly things... making dinner, going to work, cleaning the house, etc.... that we aren't as spiritually focused on days other than Sunday. I'm glad it's a change we're making in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are so inspiring. Reminds me that I need to get back on the scripture reading ball. I juggle it for a awhile and it inevitably slips away for several weeks, several weeks on, etc. You'd think I'd learn by now!

    ReplyDelete