Thursday, September 02, 2010

When progress isn't slow.

I know you were hoping that I'd post something about great gains in weight loss, but this time I'm talking about work. I'm sorry I got your hopes up. :)

We've been talking for a while about how to speed up the prekey process. It usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to manually key in one load of 32 machines. Up until yesterday, that is. I made a breakthrough that allowed me to do the whole process in 10 minutes or less.

Another struggle we've had is changing the graphics on the machines or changing their status to a different build. To do so means that you have to print all of the information, delete the old entry in the system, and re-enter it with the new selection. Figure 2 minutes per machine, average 60 or so a day, and you're talking about 2 hours or more down the drain depending on how well the system is working today. I'm so close to modifying the import for this purpose as well.

I really enjoy this kind of work. It keeps me busy and interested. Often times most of the day will go by before I realize that I missed lunch 2 hours ago or that it is only 30 minutes to shift end. It's particularly nice to see the amount of progress made, and if you think I'm excited about it, you should see Randy (the person we hired to replace me as supervisor when I transferred). He's offered to stand guard outside my door until I get it done.

I only wish my weight loss was working like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment